In fall/winter I could live off of soup, chili, and curry, mmmmmm. Cheesy Brocoli Soup is one of my all time favs! The problem with this soup in restaurants and other places is that it is typically thickened up with flour. Being grain free, low carb, and gluten free, this certainly will not work.
I have found xanthan gum to be a great substitute.
Creating this soup recipe was a lot of fun and I’m so happy with how it turned out. It’s super creamy and has the perfect amount of brocolli to chicken to cheese, in my mind 😉
The best part has been that I can make this in such a large batch and freeze the left overs. I just put the leftovers in gallon zip lock bags once the soup has cooled. Then when I’m ready for more soup I put the bag in the fridge where it can thaw over night.
This has been great for quick dinners, quick lunches, a side dish to bring over to a friends dinner party, etc.
Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Also if you haven’t joined my 21-day Low Carb Challenge I want to invite you! It’s totally free and a great way to: get on track, stay on track, have support from hundreds of other low carbers, have a weekly recipe/grocery list, motivation, and so much more!
You can join the challenge (for free) here now.
Also have you joined the (free) Ladies who Low Carb FB group yet? We share what we’re eating throughout the day, keep each other accountable, and the group has been a great source for motivation too! I hope to see you in there soon!
Until next time, Love & High Fives!
- 6 cups organic broccoli
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 cups block of cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces organic whipping cream
- ½ cup xanthan gum
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 TBS sea salt
- 1 TBS black ground pepper
- 64 ounces organic chicken broth
- ½ stick butter
- Grab a large stock pot and place it on your stove burner on medium heat
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Chop the onion and crush the garlic
- Toss the onion, garlic, and butter into the stock pot and cook until onion is caramelized
- Chop the broccoli and grate all the cheddar cheese
- Once the onions are caramelized add the chicken stock and broccoli to the stock pot
- Meanwhile grease a cookie sheet, place the chicken breasts on, cover each breast with 1 tbs olive oil and salt/pepper to taste then place in the oven and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until cooked
- Once the chicken breasts are done, slice into 2 inch pieces, and add to soup in stock pot
- Once the broccoli is tender, about 30 minutes of medium heat cooking in pot add the grated cheese, heavy whipping cream, xanthan gum, and salt/pepper
- Cook in stock pot for another 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Once soup is done cooking, serve or let cool and store in the fridge and/or freezer
Download Our 7 Simple Low Carb Dinner Recipies, Free >>